Monday, June 11, 2012

California


This is my brother Haydn and his friend Kate.  I spent most of my Spring time with these two.  They were both in kindergarten this year, but Kate had morning class and Haydn had afternoon.  Every morning I would hang out with Haydn and then drop him off at school while picking up Kate.  I was Kate's nanny for 5-6 hours each day.  We had a blast (most of the time...that girl has a solid punch when she's angry.)  I discovered that she was more obedient when she was not at her own house, so we spent a lot of time at Grandma Jane's or at my house.  On Wednesdays all the elementary kids got out at the same time so Kate got to play with Hunter and Haydn.  We would go swimming, make forts in the treehouse, play in the sprinklers, catch frogs, you name it.
Haydn and Kate sittin' in a tree.
No really, they are.
Hunter and Kate running through the sprinklers in the front yard
Since we were living at my Grandma’s house we became in charge of her huge garden in the backyard.  I didn’t mind so much.  This meant I could snack on peas and strawberries just about whenever I wanted to.  Kate loved to pick the strawberries and the radishes with me.  She became quite the little gardener.  We made a mean garden salad with all of the vegetables and lots of treats with the strawberries that we picked.
smoothies, popsicles, strawberry-rhubarb crisp...mmm

After I took Kate home I sometimes tutored kids in math, babysat, or ran errands for random families in our ward.  Anything to make a little extra money while we were home for a few weeks.  Chris worked too, mostly doing manual labor for anybody and everybody who needed him.  Most of the time he was working on retrofitting a fence with my Dad. I like me a good handyman ;)


We took the boys to Six Flags on a couple of the weekends and had a blast. Haley and Heidi were both up at school so I had extra sister time with Heather, she has gotten so old.  We are the same size and most people thought we were twins. I’m six years older than her.
Heather, me & Chris at Cold Stone


It's always good to be home and spend time with family and old friends. Now we get to do that in Virginia.
 :)

1 comment: