Friday, February 24, 2012

let's talk about pinterest

it's great right? i was addicted from day one. it's the fastest growing social media site ever and there is no mystery why. i wish i knew about it before the wedding -- instead i had to download and save all the pictures from the internet into my photo albums. but now you can just pin it with the click of a button! it's the perfect place to find cute ideas. outfit ideas, home decorating ideas, craft ideas, recipe ideas, etc etc etc. it's like eye candy, am i right?

but alas, among all the amazing things that pinterest has brought, i do have some pinterest pet peeves.

this blog talks about a few that I definitely agree with. (too many words in the captions, not pinning from the direct source, etc.) But I want to focus on one. My biggest pet peeve: girls pinning other half-naked girls onto "fitness motivation" boards.
i want to throw up in my mouth.
STOP PINNING SUPERMODELS IN THEIR UNDERWEAR.
if you obsess over looking like that you will live a depressing life. we need to learn to be happy in our own skin (myself included.) don't get me wrong, I don't want everyone to be lazy. i am 100% a fan of taking care of our bodies and being in the best shape that we can be. (heck, i just got home from the gym.) but you can be healthy and beautiful without being a size 0 or having the muscles of a professional weight trainer. our bodies have their own 'ideal' and sometimes that doesn't match up with the world's 'ideal.'
there is nothing wrong with pinning a quote or a motivating picture or some cool tips for exercising. whatever. I just hate to see pictures flying around pinterest of girls that are either models or anorexic. I usually unfollow those boards as soon as i see them, but more and more keep showing up and it's driving me crazy.

i laugh sometimes when i see people pinning picture after picture after picture of 'skinny motivaters.' you have been on pinterest for an hour, it obviously hasn't motivated you enough to take a run. am i the only one that feels this way?

sorry that this post has a negative tone to it. i don't mean to offend anyone. it just saddens me that society has put so much pressure on women to look a certain way. we have it tough enough as it is. we should be grateful for our bodies (again, myself included.)

i realize that i am 'skinny,' but i still don't view myself as the 'ideal' image. i hate it when people say things like, 'oh, you're skinny you don't have to worry about stuff like this.' i think that is ignorant. everyone is affected by the world's view on women. we should all try to change it. it starts with us.

6 comments:

  1. Amen.... I'm sure I have some pictures on my work/health board, but everything you just said is on my mind when I see those pictures, too.... plus I feel like it's inappropriate, so I just don't. I think they can motivate only to the extent that you can reach your goals if you work for them, but don't expect to look like a chick who only spends her time exercising and not eating - there's definitely more to life than how we look. . . which just reminded me of one of the General Conference talks about comparing vertically instead of horizontally. Seriously - this morning I was looking at myself in the mirror comparing myself to others (like those pictures) and quickly remembered "I can't compare myself to them. We're different. What matters is am I doing what I have been commanded to do? Do I see myself as my Heavenly Father sees me? (cue Prince of Egypt soundtrack)"

    Anyway - good post, Gamma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally guilty of thinking that naturally thin people don't need to worry about health as much - sorry!

    I can't stand being on pinterest and seeing some super thin, muscular woman then right next to it a picture of a seriously fattening dessert... mixed signals! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your new blog. Adore!

    As for your post, couldn't have said it better myself. And I agree with your friend, they're inappropriate. People need to be happy with themselves (including me. it's gotten much harding since having twins).

    Anyways, seriously love you! We miss you like crazy.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have been talking about adding filters, etc. to Pinterest because of this. Check out their new terms of service.

    Steps in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm...you should write those thoughts in essay form, and your experience being skinny. And post them. Here. Just saying. embodyed.blogspot.com

    Love you. Desperately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started doing that a month ago when you were doing the skinny diaries thing. I just haven't gotten around to finishing it. I will!! LOVE you!

      Delete